Once the heavens burst open, the Scriptures tell us that it rained day and night for 40 days.
As I mentioned before, numbers in the Bible have great symbolic meaning.
Next to the number 7, the number 40 is the second most used number in the Bible.
The number 40 signifies a period of trial or testing.
Here are some instances where the number 40 is used.
1) Yeshua fasted for 40 days and nights before being tempted by the devil.
2) Moses was on Mount Sinai without food for 40 days.
3) The 12 scouts who went to spy out the land of Canaan were in the land for 40 days.
4) Ninevah was given 40 days to repent before being destroyed by God.
5) When a mother gives birth to a new child, the amount of time required for purification is 40 days.
6) Both King David and King Solomon ruled Israel for 40 years.
7) Isaac was 40 years old when he married Rebecca.
NEXT TIME WE BEGIN GENESIS CHAPTER 8